Bespoke solution enables more consistent product blend, for higher yield from ingredients and less waste
The production of dermatological creams and ointments includes emulsifying waxes, emollients and lubricants, and then mixing in stabilising and thickening agents, preservatives and in some cases, colourants.
Manual mixing for our pharmaceutical manufacturing customer was resulting in problematically inconsistent blends of their ingredients, whilst excess product was being wasted as it was stuck to the container wall.
- A 316L pharmaceutical grade hygienic mixing container, with an internal surface finish of just 0.4 micrometers Ra – leaving nowhere for bacteria to collect and store.
- A high shear mixer enables fast, efficient mixing to form a stable emulsion.
- A water jacket surrounding the vessel was added to work with temperature-sensitive ingredients and accelerate dispersion.
- An inbuilt scraper was created to ensure that material does not build up on the vessel wall and waste.
- The active ingredient is now consistently dispersed in a way that could not be achieved manually, to maximise yield and guarantee consistent product effectiveness for customers.